Friday, July 23, 2010

Recipe Friday - Chicken and Roast Veg Quiche

Lately I've been looking for more ways to use up ingredients laying around my fridge. I almost ALWAYS have a bunch of eggs sitting in my fridge, just a few days away from expiring, and since I hardly ever eat eggs for breakfast, I thought I'd make some quiche!

Ingredients
1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, put through a garlic press
1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Original
1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (or use chopped broccoli)
1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken (I usually use last night's leftovers)
3 eggs
2 egg whites
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 (9-inch) pie crust, in pie pan
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Method
Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Toss onions, garlic, bell peppers, extra virgin olive oil, Mrs. Dash, salt and pepper together on a large baking sheet. Roast in oven until just tender, about 10 minutes. Add asparagus, toss well and roast until vegetables are golden brown and tender, 15 to 20 minutes more. Add chicken, toss well and set aside.

Mix eggs, egg whites, flour, baking powder, milk, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl. Arrange vegetable mixture in pie crust, then pour egg mixture over the top. Scatter cheese over egg mixture and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 45 minutes. (Tent with foil if top gets too dark before quiche is cooked through). Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories