Friday, June 4, 2010

Recipe Friday - Roasted Red Pepper Pesto

Let me start by saying "Happy 1st Birthday Joseph!" I can't believe it's been a year since I gave birth to a little (well not so little) 9 pound 9 ounce cutie pie. It's been a great first year and I love my little guy so so much! Ok, more about that later... Time for a recipe!

Here's a twist on traditional pesto. I decided to make this one day because roasted red peppers were on sale. It turned out really well and it was actually faster than my usual pesto because I didn't need to grate all that romano cheese, AND lower it's in fat. This recipe is perfect to make on one of those busy days when you feel like your head is going to explode from all the running around (for me, that day is today!). In the time that it takes to boil a pot of pasta, you'll be done and your family will enjoy a healthy, homemade meal. It's faster than ordering a pizza!

Roasted Red Pepper Pesto

300 mL jar of roasted red peppers, drained (or 3 whole roasted red peppers)
3 cloves of garlic
3/4 cup olive oil (I use extra virgin, but you can use regular if your kids don't like the strong taste)
1 small bunch of fresh basil, washed and stems removed

Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend about 2 minutes. Serve over whole wheat pasta and sprinkle with a bit of Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

- Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories