On the way to the cottage I saw a bunch of roadside fruit stands with huge signs saying "fresh strawberries" and I was craving them like crazy! When we arrived at the cottage, my sister-in-law had a big basket of fresh, locally grown, Ontario strawberries to share for the next day's breakfast, YUM! I just love strawberries and so does everyone else, since strawberries are the most popular berry in the world. Strawberries are in season right now, so now is the time to enjoy and indulge! We might even plan a family outing to our local strawberry picking farm and pick, and eat some fresh yumminess :)
Here's some healthy reasons to eat strawberries.
1. Full of anthocyanidin, a powerful flavonoid which protect against cancer and heart disease.
2. Strawberries are an anti-inflammatory, which can offer pain relief to such things as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, asthma, atherosclerosis, and cancer.
3. Excellent source of vitamin C
4. Excellent source of fibre
5. The ancient Romans believed that strawberries alleviated symptoms of depression, fainting, inflammation, fevers, throat infections, kidney stones, bad breath, gout, and diseases of the blood, liver and spleen.
6. Folklore holds that if you split a double strawberry in half and share it with the opposite sex, you'll soon fall in love. (who needs lavalife LOL)
Nutrition facts:Serving size: 1 cup fresh strawberries (166 grams)
Protein 1 gram
Carbohydrates 11.65 grams
Dietary Fiber 3.81 grams
Calcium 23.24 mg
Iron 0.63 mg
Magnesium 16.60 mg
Phosporus 31.54 mg
Potassium 44.82 mg
Selenium 1.16 mg
Vitamin C 94.12 mg
Folate 29.38 mcg
Vitamin A 44.82 IU
Here's a yummy Strawberry Salad recipe from Rachel Ray and www.foodnetwork.com
- 2 teaspoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 4 to 5 cups chopped romaine or mixed greens of any kind
Place jam in a medium bowl and whisk in vinegar then extra-virgin olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Add the strawberries and greens to bowl and toss to coat evenly in dressing.