Friday, April 23, 2010

Recipe Friday - Guacamole

Summer is around the corner and with it comes BBQ season. My husband and I get invited to BBQ parties all the time and they always ask us if we can bring something. I always notice that someone else will bring a potato salad and a regular green salad, so I like to bring a dip of some sort, like hummus or guacamole. My guacamole is always a huge hit at parties, either that or I get "what's guacamole?" (it depends on the age of the crowd.) Avocado is full of vitamin K, dietary fiber, potassium, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and copper. It's also a rich source of monounsaturated fatty acids including oleic acid. Trust me, homemade guacamole totally surpasses the store bought kind. I actually have a friend who told me he hated guacamole, UNTIL he tried my recipe.

Guacamole

2 ripe avocados, peeled, seed removed and mashed
1 large clove of garlic, pressed through a garlic press or very finely minced
juice of half a lemon
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 tablespoon fajita spice mix
1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes, crushed
1 tomato, diced

Mix all ingredients, except tomato in a bowl until creamy. Add diced tomatoes and stir. Serve with multi-grain Tostitos or whole wheat pita chips.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories