Friday, April 16, 2010

Recipe Friday - Black Bean Brownies

No your computer isn't on the fritz, today's recipe is indeed a brownie recipe made with BLACK BEANS. The first time I ever saw a recipe like this was over six years ago at my aunts house. She had a cook book all about beans. I expected to see the usual, bean salad, enchiladas... but when I flipped it open I noticed a dessert section. Really? An entire chapter dedicated to desserts made with beans? My aunt assured me that the brownie recipe was actually really good. Fast-forward to two summers ago when I visited my cousin in Ottawa. I went to her house for dinner and guess what was for dessert? Bean Brownies! Then (now here's a crazy coincidence) we went to Dave's cousin's house (yes, we both have cousins in Ottawa) and baking in the oven was... BEAN BROWNIES. Alright so, these are surprising good, like I mean they're not going to taste quite as good those huge frosted fudge brownies from Starbucks, but we're trying to be healthy right? Where else are you going to find a brownie with about 4 g of fibre per serving and 3 g of protein? Come on, be brave, give these a try and let me know what you think.

Ingredients:

15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 bananas
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup instant oats


Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients, except oats and chocolate chips, in a food processor and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips and pour batter into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan. Bake approx 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing. These brownies will be more dense and fudge-like. If you find these brownies are too soft or too fudgey, add another 1/4 cup oats.

Me Ka Aloha

- Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories