Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Trying to Get Pregnant?

Don't get too excited, I'm not announcing anything here haa haa. Rosie and Joseph have been sick this week so I was looking up some stuff online and came across this website. http://www.babycenter.com/ovulation-calculator It tells you when your most fertile days are and when the baby would be due if you did conceive. Obviously it's possible to get pregnant anytime during your cycle as many women can prove, but this information tells you when it's the MOST possible.

I think it's good to know your most fertile days so you can get your body ready and increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy. It's highly recommended to avoid alcohol and caffeine. Experts generally agree that low to moderate caffeine consumption (less than 300 mgs a day or about two 8-ounce mugs of coffee) won't get in the way of getting pregnant. But you might want to cut out caffeine altogether if you're having difficulty conceiving or undergoing in vitro fertilization. You're also going to want to take a pre-natal vitamin with higher iron and folic acid. I was low in iron when I was pregnant with Joseph and my energy was incredibly low and I always felt light headed. Folic acid, sometimes called folate, is a B vitamin (B9) found mostly in leafy green vegetables like kale and spinach, orange juice, and enriched grains. Repeated studies have shown that women who get 400 micrograms (0.4 milligrams) daily prior to conception and during early pregnancy reduce the risk that their baby will be born with a serious neural tube defect (a birth defect involving incomplete development of the brain and spinal cord) by up to 70%. Folic acid prevents some birth defects like spina bifida.

When I decide that it's time for another baby (notice I said "when"), I'll certainly be checking out this website so I can coordinate the best times to "try".

To all the mommy wannabes out there, don't forget to be healthy and have fun "trying" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories