Friday, August 13, 2010

Recipe Friday - Turkey Meatloaf

One of my first memories of watching the Simpsons was an episode where Homer is sitting in front of the oven saying "Mmmm Meatloaf" I always thought meatloaf was gross because of this, and unhealthy. Even though meatloaf is a classic American/Canadian meal, my Mother never made it. Then one day, I was watching one of my favorite cooking shows "Chef at Home" with Michael Smith and he showed us how to make a delicious and healthy meatloaf. I've made it and I can tell you that it's so YUMMY! Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 onions, peeled and sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
  • 2 pounds of ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 can (156 ml) tomato paste
  • A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme or oregano
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Preheat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, and then add the oil and onions. Sauté them until they are golden brown. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue sautéing until all the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms have lightly browned.
  3. In a large bowl mix together the turkey, milk, breadcrumbs, egg, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and mushroom mixture. Season well with salt and pepper. Press the mixture into a loaf pan, or 8” by 8” baking dish and bake until lightly browned on top and firm, about 1 hour. An instant read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meatloaf should read 165 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories