Wednesday, April 6, 2011

8 Weeks Left!! Planning on a Natural Birth.

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to pop back on here (I miss blogging) and let you all know that the pregnancy is going really well! Ok.... I'm nauseous, have swollen feet, gained over 60 pounds, have to pee ALL THE TIME, exhausted, and have a hard time sleeping... BUT the baby is healthy and will be here in about 2 months :)

I'm so excited to meet the little peanut and see how cute he/she is. Of course we don't know if we're having a boy or a girl (we never find out) but Dave and my Chinese grandmother both think it's a boy. They've both been right the first two times, so we'll see. I kind of think I'm having a girl but only because I had a few dreams and the baby was a girl, and I have the perfect girls name picked out (sorry, I won't reveal it just yet). It really doesn't matter, boy or girl. We'll be super happy whatever we have. Any way, only time will tell.

So when my first baby was born, I was in labor FOREVER! I had been up all day, then around 2 am started little contractions (I had only been sleeping for 2 hours). I was so excited to finally be in labor that I pretty much stayed up all night. When morning came, labor was really intense, but she wasn't born until after midnight. SO... I was awake for well over 24 hours by the time she arrived. I was so exhausted during labor that I was actually falling asleep between contractions. The baby's heart rate elevated, I started a fever, and despite my hope for a natural birth, we decided an epidural would be VERY HELPFUL.

When I had my second child I was pretty determined to go natural. The epidural, although nice to be out of pain, well it was creepy, not to mention all the other possible side effects. I just didn't like the idea of the epidural at all. So second time around I opted for a home birth- with midwives. There's no option for an epidural at home, so I had no choice but to go natural. Well I DID IT!!! I delivered a 9 pound 9 ounce baby boy a home, drug free!

I want to deliver this baby drug free. Here's my reasons for going natural.

1. Ability to labor in any position and/or walk around.

2. Ability to actually feel what's going on and know exactly when and how hard to push.

3. Avoid being hooked up to fetal monitor, blood pressure cuff, catheter, etc.

4. Baby will be more alert after birth.

5. Baby will have an easier time breastfeeding after birth.

6. No creepy needles in my spine an
d arm.
7. Sometimes the epidural doesn't work any way.

8. Antibiotics are often needed when you have an epidural, which can lead to thrush in mom or baby.

9. Epidurals can slow down the birthing process.

10. No longer allowed to eat or drink with an epidural.

11. I'll have the feeling that I can do anything after the baby is born.


As long as there aren't any complications, and as long as the baby turns around (right now baby is in a breached position) I will have a natural birth. I'm praying and keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes as smoothly as my last.

Next time I blog it might just be full of pictures of the new baby!! In the meantime, here's a horrible picture of my pregnant self, looking really puffy and HUGE, standing next to the quilt I just made my husband for Valentines Day.

Me Ka Aloha
- Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Zimbio
Top Stories